Position: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Coordinator
Department & Location: Program Quality Unit; Vientiane Capital
Date: Quarter 1, 2024
Reports to (position): Director and Program quality director
The purpose of this roles is to support CHIAs Programs to:
– Improve monitoring, evaluation and learning and knowledge management;
– Support capacity development of teams across all programs in quantitative and qualitative and evaluation methodologies;
– Support reporting including quarterly, annual report in program activity;
– Support the transition to digital data collection tools .
Role and responsibility:
- Support the MEL and knowledge management processes for CHIAs programs in dual languages (Lao and English); namely for the CHIAs program and MOU monitoring and reporting;
- Support all aspects of the MEL system including the Program Strategy; program objectives and indicators, indicator tracking matrix and data collections tools;
- Support the transition from paper-based data collection to digital data collection;
- Support the utilization of qualitative data collection methods such as most significant change, appreciative inquiry and case studies;
- Support MOU reporting for all programs;
- Support training such as results-based project management, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Working with the Project/Program Managers; CSO partners and Head of Program and supporting developing methods, tools to collect data at output and outcome level and data analysis framework.
- Roll out M&E framework and M&E plan of the project through organizing M&E activities according to M&E framework of the project
- Set up and update projects indicator result/target in PMERL system.
- Providing staff orientation on the M&E framework of the project, indicators to measure results at different levels, methods and tools and establishing data flow from different sources.
- Support/training staffs, CSO partners on M&E system e.g. data collection tools, Result base management, MERL standard, M&E framework and digital/innovation platform…
- Support/Coordinate develop data collection tools, translation tools and transition to E-electronic format
- Support project/program manager compliance MERL standard as required
- Track results of the project by extracting data from MIS/PMERL and other sources, analyse data and produce quality periodic report (quarterly, 6-monthly, annually) for management decisions. Capture and document evidence on project progress for internal decision making and external reporting as well as beneficiary accountability.
- Ensure data quality for the purpose of reporting to donor and government partners. For this purpose, develop and implement tool for data quality assurance. Conduct process monitoring in project area and share the findings with management and concerned staff members.
- Undertake capacity of CHIAs project and partner staff in project monitoring by providing them with knowledge in basic M&E approach and tools. Enhance capacity of partner staff for digital data collection and real-time project monitoring and data quality assurance to provide quality data.
- Coordinate baseline, mid-term and end line study of the project. For this purpose, develop draft TOR, share with central MERL team for finalization. Coordinate the activities of external consultants to ensure high quality reports are delivered.
- Ensures that Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- Requires approximately 40%travel in target Provinces, including remote districts and village level
Any others relevant activities/responsibilities as assigned by the Supervisor/Programme Manager/Project Manager
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position:
Monitoring, evaluation and learning coordination
- Support the Program Quality Manager in the development and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, and research for the CHIAs Program Strategy, and for programs and projects.
- Support the coordination of quarterly updates of the Program-wide Annual Evaluation and Research Plan, including monitoring of management response plans to evaluations and post-intervention studies.
- Ensure monitoring data and results feed into improving programming through monthly, quarterly and annual data analysis and interpretation reviews and workshops.
- Support Program teams in the dissemination of research and MEL findings at the national, provincial and district levels.
- Provide translation support for MEL documentation as required.
- Provide capacity of CHIAs project and partner staff in project monitoring by providing them with knowledge in basic M&E approach and tools. Enhance capacity of partner staff for digital data collection and real-time project monitoring and data quality assurance to provide quality data
- Design and deliver TOT, trainings, workshops, and other key activities related to MEL.
- Support the digitizing collection tools as required, and system set-up in field offices.
- Support teams to maintain their Project data storage system and data analysis interfaces. Monitor regularly to ensure completeness and quality of data.
- Support periodic reviews of monitoring data and help team identify lessons learned as well as areas for improvement.
- Coach staff on an ongoing basis and provides technical oversight to ensure high-quality implementation and reporting on activities
Accountability and relationships
- Maintain positive relationships and frequent communication with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including CHIAs staff, MoH, Provincial Health Departments, District Health Offices, Health services, and CSO partners.
- Supports innovations in programming and ensures that results are applied in designing programs and projects.
- Participates in national, regional, and global network learning initiatives and seeks opportunities for information sharing and learning exchanges.
- Provides advice, support and training to local CSO partners (NPAs) in the establishment of continuous learning in their programmes.
Budgeting and financial management
- Provide MEL-related inputs on monthly costed work CHIAs, quarterly, monthly cash forecasts, annual financial reports and budget revisions
- Prepare requisitions and handle cash advances for MEL-related activities as required
- Clear all expenses/advances as relevant to MEL activities
- Contribute information, photos, case studies, etc. to include in key communications materials about the project
Communications and Working Relationships:
Reasons for contact
Level (high, medium, low)
Program Quality Director
1. Line Management High Other Project Managers/ Coordinators
2. Training for teams as required.
3. Coordinate advice and training with local partners (NPAs)
4. Support reporting and monitoring for projects and to government
High Human Resource and Training Manager
1) Coordinate trainings and provide information on planned training
Local CSO Partners
1) Coordinate with NPAs to ensure good support, including training
2) Advice, training and support as in the JD above
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree. A range of academic specializations will be considered as relevant to the job requirements, including education/teacher training, community development, social work, health, engineering, etc.
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ professional experience in research, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects.
- Knowledge of monitoring, evaluation and learning approaches, including logical frameworks, monitoring plans, results and process indicators, qualitative/quantitative research approaches, gender-sensitive research methodologies and participatory methods.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of MEL and program quality standards.
- Good written and spoken Lao and English (Advanced/Upper Intermediate level).
- Strong analytical and research and Evaluation skills
- Experience in designing data collection instruments and managing data collection, database
- Experience in using digital platform e.g. Kobo toolbox for program monitoring is preferred.
- Experience in using data analysis software (Power Query, Power BI, any digital innovation platform) and produce project Dashboard would be advantages
- Experience in developing, using and training others in digital data collection tools would be an advantage.
- Advanced computer skills in Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Excellent skills in use of technology, including tablets, cloud-based storage, smartphones, video and photography applications.
- Knowledge of other relevant data collection and data visualization software, such as PoI Mapper, SNAP, Frontline SMS, CommCare, FormHub, Memento, Tableau or similar, would-be a plus
- Good facilitation and training skills with the ability to conceptualize, design and deliver high-quality trainings and simplify complex information appropriately for the audience
- Demonstrated capacity to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously
Interested please send
- Letter of interest along with CV to Community Health and Inclusion Association; House No. 306 Sisangvon Road, Nongbon Village,
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Deadline: 12th Jan, 2024